ORLANDO, Fla. – No surprise here: Florida is one of the top states for Americans looking to relocate, so says a recent Harris Poll survey of 2,200 adults in the U.S. Joining the Sunshine State in the top five are California, Hawaii, Colorado and New York.
The survey also asked respondents to list their top reasons for wanting to move and “better climate” was cited as the No. 1 motivator. More than six in 10 residents (64 percent) who live on the East Coast and 61 percent of those who live in the Midwest said they would consider moving to live somewhere with a better climate and weather.
Respondents’ top reasons for moving
- For a better climate or better weather, 52 percent
- For a job opportunity, 41 percent
- For closer proximity to family, 35 percent
- For health reasons, 25 percent
- To be closer to friends, 18 percent
- To be closer to a significant other, 16 percent
- For greater educational opportunities, 14 percent
- To live in an area with a more accepting lifestyle, 13 percent
- To live in a place where residents’ political views are more accepting, 11 percent
- To live in an area where recreational marijuana is legal, 11 percent
- To live in a place where their religious views are more accepted, 7 percent