ORLANDO, Fla. — You’ve decided it’s time to redecorate. The next step is making choices that will please you over the long run, whether you’ll be selling your home in a few months or staying for a few years. After all, your home is a major investment and you want to be sure you add to its value.
Homeowners who are thinking about redecorating and plan to sell their home in the next five years, should generally focus on the traditional rather than the trendy, according to Realtor® Lynn Savits, with Coldwell Banker Residential in Aventura. “A real estate professional can help you determine what makes the most sense for your home,” she adds.
Here are some simple tips suggested by Florida Realtors® to update and freshen your home without spending an excessive amount of time and money.
- Light Matters — Enhance your home’s brightness by opening shades/drapes. Replace older, dull window treatments with contemporary ones that let the light in. Also consider replacing incandescent light bulbs with energy efficient fluorescent bulbs to brighten your home and save money on your electric bill.
- Keep It Simple — Select white, off-white or neutral colors for large areas like walls and expensive items like carpet or appliances. You can add color with pieces that will move with you when you sell, such as furnishings, throw rugs, curtains, pillows, art objects and wall hangings.
- Kitchens Rule — Repaint the kitchen, being careful to choose conservative colors. Replace out-of-date or worn flooring. If new cabinets are beyond your budget, you can replace or refinish the doors or just the cabinet or drawer pulls. Likewise, tiling or refinishing counter tops may be a cost-effective option to replacement. At a minimum, clean or replace any grouting on floor or countertops.
- Think Frugal — If you expect to move during the next five years, buy reasonably priced carpet or flooring in neutral shades. Invest enough to get a fresh, attractive look that you will enjoy, but don’t spend so much that you won’t recover all or most of the cost when you sell your home.
- Call a Realtor —If you have a specific problem, or are torn between decorating alternatives, you should consider calling a Realtor in your area. “This is the perfect person to help you decide which redecorating choices will be attractive to buyers – regardless of price range,” says Savits.
By following these suggestions, you can enjoy the fruits of your redecorating. Make changes that you will enjoy, but remember to think about what also might appeal to a buyer when it’s time to sell your home in the future.